Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bellator signs UFC veteran welterweight Brian Foster

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Logo_Bellator_150_2.jpg
Brian Foster's promising UFC run came to an abrupt end earlier this year after a brain hemorrhage found in a pre-fight medical exam took him out of UFC 129 in Toronto and led to a medical release from the organization.

Foster was then cleared to return to action, but suffered another injury in training that held him out until October. Now, after winning two fights last month, bringing his current winning streak to four fights, Foster has signed with Bellator Fighting Championships, and he's got one thing on his mind: beating Bellator Welterweight Champion Ben Askren.

"I'm getting that belt," Foster said. ?I want to fight the best. I want to fight Ben Askren and take home that belt. I ran through my last two opponents and I'm better than I've ever been. I'm very happy to be a part of Bellator and I'm coming for the top spot."

"I've been seen by two of the best doctors in the state, they've medically cleared me and I feel great. I'm looking forward to facing Bellator's best and becoming the next welterweight champion."

Foster went 3-1 over his last four fights in the UFC, including consecutive victories over Forrest Petz and Matt Brown prior to his release.

Penick's Analysis: It was a scary situation earlier this year for Foster with the brain hemorrhage, and it's too bad it let to him being cut from the UFC. He was on a very good run, and with his only UFC losses coming to Rick Story and Chris Lytle, he still had a promising future and could have continued climbing the ladder. Still, he is a very good addition to Bellator's welterweight division, and if he goes through one of their tournaments he could be a very formidable challenge for Askren.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Bellator/article_11067.shtml

Luke Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment