Tuesday, May 1, 2012

UFC Newcomer Tim Elliott Talks Uphill Battle with Losing and UFC Debut

Sometimes a phone call is all it takes.

In a matter of seconds or a single ring of the phone, a fighter's career can be turned upside down.

Enter UFC newcomer, Tim Elliott.

"I was on vacation celebrating my win over Josh Rave when my life changed forever," Elliott told Bleacher Report.

"I was just celebrating the win with my family when I got a call asking what I thought about fighting the Ultimate Fighter winner, John Dodson. I couldn't believe what I heard coming through the phone," said Elliott.

It turns out Elliot was hearing exactly what he's dreamed about for years as he was about to enter in on a career with the most prestigious promotion in the business.

Touchdown Elliott.

It was a surreal moment for the 25-year-old flyweight considering his career hasn't always been something to cheer about.

In fact, forget the whole mixed martial arts thing, Elliott struggled to even capture a win on the wrestling mat.

"When I first started wrestling, I couldn't buy a win," laughed Elliott. "I took a beating on a daily basis."

Losing would continue to be a devastating factor in Elliott's career as it was a hurdle he couldn't overcome.

"Losing was really nothing new to me. So, once my college wrestling career was over, I still had that urge to compete. I knew you could make a little money on the side with MMA so I started competing," said Elliott, who wrestled at LaBette Community College in Kansas before transferring over to Division II Central Oklahoma.

Elliott would settle for a draw in his first professional fight against Jerod Spoon.

And, as expected, the losing would once again follow Elliott.

Elliott would be submitted in his second professional fight and knocked out in his third.

The losing was becoming unbearable as Elliott knew a change needed to be made if he wished to continue competing in the sport.

All this time, Elliott maintained a positive attitude and was destined to join the winning team.

"I never really got down on myself. It was after my second loss when I decided to turn things around," said Elliott. "I started learning some striking and submission skills."

Elliott's move would allow him to taste victory and is now on the best stretch of his career having won eight straight fights.

"I've been on a tear ever since and I'm not looking back."

For more information on Elliott, tune into his bout with Dodson which take place at UFC on FOX 3 at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey on May 5th.

 

For additional information, follow Garrett Derr on Twitter.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1160865-ufc-newcomer-tim-elliott-talks-uphill-battle-with-losing-and-ufc-debut

Tim Sylvia Javier Torres Tor Troeng

No comments:

Post a Comment