Sunday, July 1, 2012

MOORE: UK MMA Blog - UFC Nottingham, BAMMA on TV, Ross Pearson, and more

By: Dan Moore, MMATorch UK Contributor

MMATorchAvatar2011V2_180_99.jpg
Everyone and anyone has aired an opinion recently on the UK UFC event this September, so it's only fair for me to have my turn. To say I was underwhelmed when Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic was announced as the main event for UFC on FUEL TV 5 in Nottingham would be a monumental understatement. Then I watched the UFC on FX 4 main event last weekend and completely changed my opinion in to one far more positive: Does it really matter if our main event lacks a fighter with so called name value? After all, Kimbo Slice is more internationally renowned than the entire UFC roster combined, and you wouldn't want to see him make a comeback inside the Octagon this September.

In the first six months of 2012 there have been sixteen live UFC events, so double that accordingly, and you're looking at thirty two live events for the entire calendar year. Of the countries hosting these events, we, the United Kingdom, will get to see just one live and in person. Sadly that means we have to make the most of these meager pickings, and pay whatever the UFC decides to charge us to attend. It's a shocking thought, but it's just the way it is and we have to take it on the chin. I am seriously fighting the urge not to feel extremely undervalued as a consumer of the UFC product. Whilst I have no issue with a Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic main event. I do have an extremely big problem with the amount of money we are expected to pay to see it.

After UFC 138 last year I decided that I would buy the most expensive seats in the arena when the UFC next came to town. Imagine my dilemma a few weeks ago when I saw tickets were being sold, without a main event confirmed. Do I, don't I.... It went on for ever before I finally took the plunge, dusted the cobwebs off of my debit card, and paid for top drawer seats. I knew the odds weren't stacked in my favor, it was universally anticipated that the event would be broadcast on FUEL TV in America, but what the heck. I wanted to go, I paid what I felt I could afford, the fights are booked and I'm going to enjoy myself whatever happens. Folks, that's what it's all about now, enjoying the experience and making the best of a bad situation.

*********************************

Great news announced this week involving BAMMA. You've all seen it on Twitter over the past 24 hours and from the feedback I've seen, the response has been unanimously positive. Whilst BAMMA 10 won't be broadcast on the Channel 5 terrestrial channel, it will make it's live debut on 5*, their sister channel available via most cable providers. This is fantastic news and it's a shame this partnership hasn't happened before now. Airing the Watson vs. Rua fight earlier this year was a resounding success and clearly prompted Channel 5 to take the plunge. Any TV coverage of UK MMA is a positive step in the right direction and i'll be tuning in if I can't get a ticket for Wembley Arena on Sep 15th. Hopefully this deal will encourage, if not force BAMMA into promoting a more competitive event schedule throughout 2012 and beyond. They have a good roster of fighters who aren't being utilized right now, so this deal works well for pretty much everyone concerned, including the fans.

*********************************

Not much to say about the Ross Pearson loss last weekend that hasn't already been said, but I'll have my say anyway. When discussing our top talent, It's not enough to just say "He tried his best, but he was just unlucky," "Had a good go but he came up short" or "Better luck next time." We all had no problem criticizing England after their defeat to Italy last Sunday, so why not be equally critical of our fighters when they don't perform? Pearson had the momentum in that second round, after probably losing the first. Yet he did not utilize his clear size advantage, he also allowed Swanson to stand up and strike, and he moved forward when a moment of composure would have served him better. Swanson looked good but sadly Pearson allowed him to. If our fighters want to be top 10 and want to fight for titles, the least they could do is play to their own strengths, and not to the strengths of their opponents.

**********************************

One word sprung to mind when I found out Terry Etim was injured, and therefore forced to withdraw from his scheduled fight with Joe Lauzon: GUTTED.

**********************************

I was reading an article earlier today that listed top money earners in respective sports worldwide. Not sure how accurate the UFC list was but it had Michael Bisping placed 7th with fight earnings of $2.2 million. That is an astonishing number for someone who has never been a world champion, or even beaten a top 10 opponent. It's worth noting that the list didn't include those undisclosed bonuses we often hear about, but never get to see figures for. That's lucky for Bisping though, after all he lost a small fortune last year post spit gate. With previous earnings like that I'm sure Bisping would, and could fight for free if it guaranteed him a title shot sometime in the near future.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Staff_Editorials_19/article_13723.shtml

Frank Mir Brock Lesnar Shane Carwin

No comments:

Post a Comment